01 May 2010

Lambeth residents urged to "give it a grow"

The annual Compost Awareness Week starts on 2 May and the organisers will be urging everybody to give it a grow. Lambeth is also encouraging residents to give it a grow and try something new when it comes to compost.

Around 30% of people already compost at home but for the remaining 70% there may be fears over composting that the week aims to dispel Even if we do not all rush to full composting there are lots more things that we can all try. For example, 60% say they have never tried composting everyday household waste such as the contents from their vacuum cleaner and over half have never used peat-free compost, which is better for the environment than peat based products.

Kevin Crook, Lambeth's Waste Strategy Manager commented "For those residents who have never considered composting before Compost Awareness Week is the perfect time to give it a try, even if you have only have the smallest outdoor space such as a balcony or patio. If you're already a convert, why not think about what other things you can put in the compost bin to reduce the amount you throw away, or try switching to peat free compost in the garden?"

Lambeth's recycling team is running a number of events during the week to show residents how easy it is to get started, or how they can do a little bit more. Everyone is welcome to visit the Lambeth Compost Roadshow stall outside Iceland in Brixton on Tuesday 4 May 11am - 4pm or outside Sainsbury's, Streatham Common on Friday 5 May 11am - 3pm

See the Recylce now pages for more information on composting